Supporting the Rights of the Elderly.
The core function of the Elderly program is to effectively monitor and promote mainstreaming of issues of the elderly in governance structures in order to achieve substantive equality and inclusion at all levels. The program systemically addresses discrimination and human rights issues such as participation and marginalisation affecting older members of the society in accordance with Articles 27, 54 and 57 of the constitution and international commitments signed by Kenya.
In execution of the above responsibilities, the program performs following functions:
- Coordinates state and non-state actors on disability and elderly issues to ensure participation and inclusion for substantive equality and inclusion
- Monitors the compliance in issues of ageing in accordance with the legislation and laws of the country
- Conducts audits on the status of ageing for advisories to the government on emerging issues thereof based on evidence
- Facilitates public education programmes & engagements in promoting inclusion and participation of vulnerable groups in their own programmes
- Reviews proposed legislation to ensure conformity and compliance to human rights principles and standards on ageing as prescribed by the Constitution